Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What Dosen't Kill Us

I am sure that at one time or another we have heard the  expression: "What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger." It is an expression that I believe is meant to provide comfort and encouragement to those who have experienced a death.  Several people said that to me after my daughter Jeannine died.  I had trouble  buying into that concept, and certainly wasn't comforted and encouraged by it. When Jeannine died , I experienced a death of another kind. Very simply, a part of me died when Jeannine did.  In my early grief ,what appeared as strength to others ,was survival to me.  My struggle with Jeannine's death eventually forced me to re-evaluate my beliefs, values and priorities in a world where she was not physically present. I was able to identify a new purpose in life that involved finding meaning by (among other things) companioning other parents who have experienced the death of a child.  So for me it was: "What killed me, ended up redefining me."

Wishing you all peace and enlightenment on your life journeys

No comments:

Post a Comment