Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas 2013 or is it New Years?

As my 58th  Christmas in this lifetime comes to a close, here are some thoughts, I'd like to share with you all.


  • Russell Wilson of the Seattle Seahawks is a class act. In this age of egotistical and in some cases ,clueless athletes, he is refreshing with his gentle demeanor,humility, genuineness, and commitment to service. He keeps Christmas in his heart every day of the year.
  • Many mornings when I wake up a random song starts playing effortlessly in my head. Today when I woke up, it was the song "New Years Day" by  U2.  I have yet to see the synchronicity ; perhaps George Carlin crawled into my body.
  • In October of this year, Cheri and I became surrogate grandparents for my son Dan's two cats Zoe and Nitske. So with Bootsy and Angel, we now have four creatures of the night in our home. All of  them have very unique characteristics and have proven to be great teachers to me. I will expand on this more in another post.
  •  When friends and family ask me what I want for Christmas, I struggle to give them a list of material gift ideas. So I don't. Any material object that I desire, I can buy for myself anyway. The only gift that I desire every year is for my friends and family to experience peace and good health during this time of the year. Don't get me wrong, if someone decides to buy me a gift, I am grateful ; it is just not a priority for me anymore.
  • I find myself missing Jeannine's physical presence more during this time of the year than any other. Though I miss her physical presence I do not ruminate over the fact that she is not here for the holidays. I sometimes fantasize what it would be like to have one more earthly day with her, but even if my wish were granted, one day would never be enough anyway. I gave her permission to grow in spirit long ago, and I know in my heart that she is with me every day and with others whom I care for deeply. 
  • Entitlement is another word, like coincidence ,which is no longer a part of my vocabulary.  Gratitude is a word that I use often, now .
  • I have been blessed with many supportive friends, spiritual teachers and family. They are the gifts that keep on giving to me all the year round. 
  • I visibly wince when someone tells me that they do not have choices. To deny your free will to me, is the ultimate form of disempowerment. However all choices have consequences. I have tried to choose wisely and encourage others to do the same. 
  • Choices that do not turn out as planned should not be viewed as mistakes in judgment, but rather as opportunities for improvement.
  • You can see yourself as a person who pumps gas for a living or as a petroleum transfer engineer. It is all about perspective.
  • I was recently reminded that it is important to express my gratitude for teachings that are revealed to me and view them as true blessings. 
  • The older I get the more I realize that there is  more to learn, and that I am ready to embrace those teachings from anywhere, anybody and anything. I never not want to be unteachable.
  • I always tell my students never to preface a question with the phrase, "Just out of curiosity" because it is redundant.
It is my hope that all who read this has a peace filled holiday season filled with many many moments of joy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment